Project: Rebuilding Agriculture Markets Program (RAMP)
Location: Southern Afghanistan
Client: United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
Value: $12 million
Duration: 2 years
In partnership with Chemonics International (on behalf of USAID), CADG successfully implemented an agriculture extension program that enhanced food security and income of the population from 13 prioritized provinces.
The program’s successes included:
- The introduction of best practice agricultural management to government and farmers.
- The implementation of a pesticide program to educate farmers and promote the use of environmentally safe agro-chemicals,
- On-farm demonstration training benefitting 1,200 farmers.
- The introduction of effective crop rotation, land preparation, sowing time, seed rates, irrigation, weeding and harvesting techniques.
- Improvements to the linkages between farmers, dealers and government including other credible parties.
- Improved net income of farmers from US$50 to US$350 per hectare.
- And more.
We also provided technical assistance in nursery development and successfully expanded the number of private nurseries from 72 to 150 in Helmand and Kandahar.